Travel Policies for MBL Educational Programs
The policies contained herein apply to all course faculty, lecturers, and staff, as well as to any student whose participation in a course provides for reimbursement of travel expenses.
1) General Policy Information
a) Current mileage and per diem rates are posted on the most recent Travel Reimbursement Request form.
b) Requests for travel reimbursement must be submitted within 60 days of your departure from MBL.
c) Receipts requested throughout this policy must be original. The MBL will not reimburse individuals submitting copies only.
d) Any receipts produced that are not written in English should have an accompanying translation. Also, any receipts that are not in U.S. dollars will be converted to U.S. dollars by the Office of Education. The MBL will only reimburse in U.S. dollars.
e) Requests for exception to any policy contained herein, must be made in writing to the Director of Education.
2) Commercial Airlines or Railway
a) Reservations for Air Travel Using Travel Agency
i) We are strongly encouraging the participants in the Educational Programs to use the services of
which is providing airfare at discount prices for MBL. You can make your travel arrangements by either:
(1) Telephone: 1-800-287-5103; or
(2) E-mail: email@example.com.
ii) You will be asked to provide your MBL course affiliation.
b) Alternative Reservation Plans for Airlines or Railway
i) Include the following considerations in reservation plans:
(1) The MBL prefers that you use U.S. based carriers when possible.
(2) Make reservations far enough in advance to qualify for discount fares.
(3) Be as flexible as possible on flight times and travel days.
ii) Rates: Transportation is limited to round-trip coach class transportation only. Increased fares resulting from layovers at intermediate stops and costs associated with upgrades to business or first class are the responsibility of the traveler.
iii) Change Fees: You will not be reimbursed for changing your original travel arrangements. This is the responsibility of the traveler unless specifically authorized by the Director of Education.
i) Airline Ticket – The traveler’s airline passenger coupon or boarding pass for ticketless flights must be attached to the Travel Reimbursement Request, along with applicable receipts. This is required regardless of who is paying.
ii) Travel Itinerary – A copy of the traveler’s itinerary must be attached to the Travel Reimbursement Request.
3) Private Vehicles
i) Mileage to and from airports will be reimbursed at a rate set forth by the MBL.
(1) Documentation – Miles traveled should be indicated on the Travel Reimbursement Request Form.
ii) Driving a private vehicle to and from MBL and point of origin
(1) Reimbursement – If the traveler drives a privately owned vehicle instead of flying, reimbursement will be at a rate set forth by the MBL, and may not exceed the cost of round-trip coach class airfare. This rate includes costs for gas. Toll fees will be reimbursed.
(2) Documentation – Miles traveled should be indicated on the Travel Reimbursement Request. Mileage will be checked against the latest official road map and will be limited to the most economical, usually traveled routes. Original toll receipts should be included if applicable.
b) Parking – Long-term airport/railway parking at the traveler’s point of origin will be reimbursed at the actual rate. The original receipt must be attached to the Travel Reimbursement Request.
c) Local Travel – Personal travel such as to restaurants, movies, etc. is not reimbursable.
d) Damage to Vehicle – Damage to a traveler’s personal automobile is the responsibility of that individual or his/her insurance company.
4) Rental Vehicles
a) Travelers will NOT be reimbursed for rental vehicles.
5) Ground Transportation
a) Ground transportation expenses to MBL from local airports
i) Reimbursement – Ground transportation reimbursement to and from either the
(Boston) or the
TF Green Airport
(Providence) will be provided as follows:
(1) Individuals who travel by
Peter Pan Bus
will be reimbursed for the actual amount spent as indicated on the receipt(s).
(2) Individuals who use any other means of transportation (taxis, limos, shuttles, etc.) will be reimbursed the amount of a Peter Pan bus ticket.
ii) Documentation – Original receipts should be attached to the Travel Reimbursement Request for those individuals that traveled by Peter Pan Bus.
b) Ground transportation expenses at point of origin
i) Reimbursement – Ground transportation reimbursement to and from the airport at your point of origin will be provided as follows:
(1) Individuals who travel by taxi, limo, shuttle, etc. will be reimbursed for mileage only at the rate set forth by the MBL. Travelers should claim this expense on the “Private Vehicle Mileage” line on the Travel Reimbursement Request Form.
c) Ground transportation expenses incurred for personal travel such as to restaurants, movies, etc. are not reimbursable.
a) Travel days
i) Reimbursement - Meals incurred on travel days will be reimbursed at the rate set forth by the MBL.
ii) Documentation – No receipts are required for documentation. Travelers should indicate on the Travel Reimbursement Request Form the meals claimed away from home:
i) Meal cards for on-campus breakfast, lunch and dinner will be provided at no cost to the individual.
i) Meals incurred off-campus are not reimbursable.
a) During stay at MBL
i) On campus housing will be provided at no cost to the individual. If on-campus housing is not available, the Office of Education and the Housing Office will do their best to locate comparable living quarters off-campus. In this instance, all costs associated with off-campus housing will be paid for by the Office of Education.
ii) Individuals that choose to stay off-campus when on-campus housing is available will be responsible for all costs associated with this expense. No adjustments to course fees will be made for students participating in an MBL sponsored course.
b) During travel days
i) On-the-road lodging during travel days will NOT be reimbursed.