Welcome to Housing at the MBL
2013 Housing Application Forms: Prior to filling out and submitting any housing applications please be certain you register with the correct departments, i.e., Research, Education, Center/Program.
For those of you who would like to request housing at the MBL and you are not sure of the process please contact the housing office directly and we will be happy to walk you through the process. Please contact us at 508-289-7431, 508-289-7213, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Assignment Categories (Please refer to this list to determine your category)
- Whitman Investigators/Housing Application - (Lab deadline is December 15. *Deadline is March 1 for summer housing) To be filled out by Principal Investigators, Research Award Recipients, Grass Fellows, Postdocs, Research Assistants, Graduate and Undergraduate Students.
- Faculty/Staff Housing Application (*Deadline is March 1 for summer housing.) To be filled out by all those related to MBL courses. ie Course Directors, Course CoDirectors, Course Lecturers, Course Faculty,Course Coordinator, Teaching Assistants.
- Center/Program Visiting Research & Housing Application *(Deadline is March 1 for summer housing) To be filled out by anyone visiting the following: The Bay Paul Center, Bell Center, Brown-MBL Graduate Program, BioCurrents Shared Resource, Cellular Dynamics Program, Ecosystems Center, Financial Services, Grass Laboratory, Housing, Human Resources, or the Xenopus Resource.
- Library Registration / Housing Application *(Deadline is March 1 for summer housing) To be filled out by those registering in the library needing housing for the dates of their registration.
- MBL Vendor Faculty Registration and Housing Application (Deadline is April 24) This registration and housing application should be selected by those who are vendor faculty working with Martha Peterson.
If you are not sure what application you should be filling out, please contact the Housing Office at 508-289-7431 or 508-289-7213, email@example.com. We will be happy to answer your questions and direct you to the appropriate application.
Because demand is high and housing is limited, only students participating in MBL courses are guaranteed housing each summer. All other housing assignments are made on a space-available basis according to a user category established by the MBL.
Other than students participating in MBL courses (who automatically receive housing upon acceptance to a course), individuals wishing to reserve MBL housing must first complete an application. MBL housing is not available without a reservation nor is it available to the general public.
* The deadline for receiving applications for summer housing is March 1. (Students accepted to MBL courses do not need to submit an application.) Submission of an application does not guarantee housing.
Applications received after March 1 will be reviewed in the order in which they are received. Only those registered and affiliated with the MBL's summer and resident research programs, MBL courses, and the Library will be considered for housing.
MBL Corporation Members may reserve MBL housing for one week annually as availability permits. Due to high demand from course and research activities, housing is generally not available to Corporation Members between June 15 and August 15. Corporation Members may also sponsor a MBL visitor. Unrelated MBL visitors may request housing during the off season periods based upon availability. The unrelated MBL visitor may or may not have a MBL sponsor. Contact the housing office directly for details.
Housing applications from individuals with overdue MBL accounts will not be considered until the bill is paid in full.
Questions about the housing application process can be directed to: Deb Deering, Housing Coordinator, 508-289-7213 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
When an application is received by the Housing Office, an acknowledgment e-mail is automatically sent to the applicant. Please contact the Housing Office if you have not received an acknowledgment of your application within a week of submission.
Submission of the completed housing application is considered a commitment on the applicant's part to accept financial responsibility for the housing assigned. Summer Housing assignments will be made by May 31 (except course students), for those applications received by the March 1st deadline date. Applications received after the deadline date will be processed in the order received regardless of category, and may take up to four weeks to process. Student housing assignments will be made after a student has been accepted into an MBL course.
Available housing will be assigned according to the institution's established categories. We will verify the category included on your application with the appropriate MBL department. If, at any point, you withdraw from or cancel your work at the MBL, your housing will be cancelled as well.
The Housing Office will adhere to the established category list in making housing assignments.
The following factors will also be taken into consideration when making assignments:
- Missed deadline: Applications received after the Summer Housing deadline will not supercede applications received on time, regardless of individual's category status
- Number of people in applicant's party: Cottages and 2-bedroom apartments will be assigned to families with dependent children before they are assigned to a couple, regardless of category
- Need for lead-free housing
- Approval to bring a pet (cottages only) - pet security required
- Disability: Housing for persons with mobility impairments is severely limited. Please indicate mobility impairment on your application.
Factors NOT considered when making housing assignments:
- Medical conditions. The staff in housing is not qualified to evaluate medical conditions, regardless of documentation from a physician.
- Housing, when available, is only provided for immediate family members and dependent children.
Due to the high demand on housing, the MBL is unable to provide housing for:
- Non-dependent children or extended family members of applicant
Confirmation of Housing Assignment:
Confirmations of housing assignments will be emailed or mailed once housing assignments are completed for applicants. For Summer Applicants, please be sure to list your best mailing address from mid-May to early June on your application.
Housing will be charged from the date of the reservation unless the Housing Office receives a written cancellation notice at least 15 days in advance of the reservation and an immediate reassignment can be made. Unclaimed housing units are subject to immediate reassignment. Housing assignments are not transferable, and subletting is not permitted. Changes in room assignments are permitted only with the prior consent of the Housing Office.
Dormitory rooms are only available with our board plan. See Dining for more information.